Abbeville is a city in Picardy.
Abbeville, 20 km south of the English Channel, can be reached by car from the north or the southeast by the A16 or from the southwest by the A28 or E402. You can also come to town by rail. The ride from Paris to Abbeville takes about 90 min. There is no international airport in Abbeville, but you can get a connection from Paris.
The city centre is quite compact, so walking or renting a bike will be perfectly suitable for exploring the area. If you do have a car, most hotels and restaurants have parking available, but it sometimes costs a fee. Abbéville is a rather hideous city and holds little for tourists.
- Collégiale Saint-Vulfran, Chausée du Bois. An exquisite 17th century Cathedral. edit
- Church of the Holy Sepulcre, 11 pl. St-Sépulcre. The Original building from the 15th century was expanded upon in the 19th century and therefore showcases a more very Gothic style of architecture. edit
- The Chateau and Gardens of Bagatelle, 133 route de Paris, ☎ 00 33 3 22 24 02 69. A beautiful 18th century chateau surrounded by extensive gardens and filled with original antique furniture. free!. edit
- Jardins d'Emonville, 26 place Clémenceau. A landscaped 2-hectare park with a wealth of plants, floral displays, decorative beds, perennials and century-old trees. Guided tours are free year-round. edit
- Boucher de Perthes Museum, 24 rue Gontier Patin. 14-18. An art gallery and collection of prehistoric artifacts, with an archeological exhibit. Closed Tuesdays. free!. edit
- Baie de Somme, ☎ 03 22 25 68 99. The marshland and reserve is renowned for its rich ecology. The Somme River meets the Channel and creates a lush estuary where thousands of types of animals and plants live. It is a great place to wander around, bird watch, or even get a guided tour in a horse drawn cart. edit
- Steam Train, . A tourist train runs from Le Crotoy to Saint-Valery around the Baie de Somme. edit
- Golf d'Abbeville, Route du Val, ☎ 03 22 24 98 58. A 18-hole golf course open all year, just north of town. 25-45€. edit
There is not too much shopping to be had in town, but you can find some very interesting markets nearby, depending on the day and the season.
- Amiens Christmas Market. A very popular seasonal market in front of the Cathedral from November through December. free!. edit
- Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme Sunday Market, Along the Somme river. Every Sunday there is a local flea market in the quaint medieval fishing village of Saint-Valéry-sur-Somme, where you can find thins such as clothes, gifts, and food, for cheap prices. edit
Abbeville is a great place to sample some traditional, more rustic French cuisine, in a homey atmosphere that is in no way pretentious. Try duck and fish from the area, or some of their specialty baked goods, such as beaten cake or macaroons.
- Le Picardiere, 101 route de Paris, Epagnette. Authentic local cuisine in a family atmosphere, located in a small village just south of town on the D4901. 19-38€. edit
- Chez Mel, 63-65 rue Saint-Vulfran, ☎ 03 22 19 48 64. With an old style setting and musical accompaniment, this is a hearty and family-friendly restaurant. It is also a tea room in the afternoon. edit
- Le Garden's, 83 Chaussée du Bois, ☎ 03 22 24 04 58. A friendly establishment serving freshly caught fish, homemade desserts, and a daily special. They have English menus as well! 9-40€. edit
The few bars in town can be found along the main avenue, Chausée du Bois, mostly between Rue Saint-Gilles and Boulevard Vauban.
- Le Royal Bar, 67 Chaussée Bois, ☎ 03 22 24 63 14. edit
- Le Saint Pierre, 13 Rue Alfred François, ☎ 03 22 24 73 75. Found just off of the main street. edit
- Ibis Abbeville, Route d'Amiens 234, ☎ (+33)3/22248080. Located 2 km from the city centre, this 2-star hotel is a perfectly decent place to stay while you are in town. They offer a restaurant, bar, 65 rooms, wifi, and parking. € 66. edit
- Relais Vauban, 4 Boulevard Vauban, ☎ 0322253800, . The Relais is a 22 room, 2-star accommodation in a beautiful historic building. They have car parking for a fee, hire bicycles, and offer breakfast for a small additional fee. € 54. edit
Drive to other locations in Somme or Picardy, or take the train from the station on the West side of the Canal du Transit, on Boulevard de la Portelette. Go to Paris for your international flight connection. Some interesting places nearby are the larger town of Amiens, the medieval towns and marshland along the bay. You can take a ferry across the Channel from Dieppe or Le Havre, or take the Channel Tunnel from Calais.