Žilina  is a town in Central Slovakia with population of over 80,000.
Žilina is 4th largest town in Slovakia.
Recently there was a large investment from Kia Motors Company in Žilina. By mid 2007, Kia expect to be producing 300 000 units per year! A large automobile factory is being build in a nearby area and a lot of Kia employees from Korea have moved to Žilina. Because of this, you can find specialized Korean food sections in some larger supermarkets and some Korean restaurants.
Žilina is an important transport junction point linking south (Bratislava, Vienna) with north (Krakow, Warsaw) and east (Kosice, Ukraine) with west (Ostrava, Prague).
Direct trains from Prague, Warsaw, Moscow, and Bratislava. Trains can be caught from Bratislava main train station (Bratislava Hlavna Stanica) approximately every one to one and a half hours. The approximate fare for this trip is 10 €.
From Prague (Hlavní Nadraží) trains run each day. The journey takes just over 5 hours, terminating at Žilina. This costs around 600 Czech Koruna.
Also junction point to most places in Slovakia. See cp.sk for train and bus connections.
From some towns in Czech Republic, Poland or Slovakia could be easier to catch bus than train or it adds additional connection. See  (available in English also) for train and bus connections in Slovakia and countries around.
There are 3 european roads crossing in Žilina. Road E75 from Bratislava to Žilina as highway D1. Road E50 from Brno continues to Kosice as highway D1. Road E442 from Olomouc.
Czech Airlines provide no longer regular flights to Žilina from Prague (approximately 165 €for return ticket). Flying into Bratislava transfers can be made from Bratislava airport on the number 61 bus (price 75 eurocent) to Bratislava main train station (Bratislava Hlavna Stanica). After that by train to Žilina.
The centre is small enough to walk around. There is also public city transport, around 50 cents ticket.
Take a stroll in the historic centre and admire the old churches.
- From steps in front of Farsky kostel (church up from Hlinkovo namestie square) you can see beautiful mountains around - Mala Fatra.
- Žilina dam (Vodné dielo), (in east part of town). Do running, walking, inline skating, cycling, beach volleyball edit
- Lesopark (forestpark) Chrast, (between quarters Solinky and Vlcince). Walking, running, barbeque, high-rope adventure park  edit
- Stanica cultural node, (train station Záriečie), . In the building of old and still operating train station Žilina-Záriečie. Concerts, theaters, movies (often in English or with English subtitles), festivals, exhibitions, discussions, bar, ... edit
- To dance: Tanečná škola Plešinger, Závodská cesta 6, 00421 41 7003 173, 00421 903 804 051, 
- Paragliding: Žilina is popular place to start with it (hill Stranik), , 
- cheese - get local cheese from cheese shops, much better and fresher than from supermarkets. E.g. Syrmix on Narodná street or Kuzmanyho Street, shops close to market
- fruit and vegetable market - during season good source of vegetable and fruits, sometime you can find here locals with only their things (not from big stores). Over corner of Kuzmanyho and Halková street.
Cheeses typical in the region:
- "bryndza" - soft sheep cheese (great on fresh bread)
- "korbáčiky", "nite" - great snack, especially with beer
- "oštiepok" - smoked sheep cheese, similar to Polish "oscypek"
- "bryndzové halušky" - pasta dumplings with bryndza (soft sheep cheese)
- "strapačky" - pasta dumplings with sauerkraut.
Every restaurant has a non-smoking area (as required by law).
During lunch most of restaurants serve a daily set menu (called 'menu' or 'denne menu'), typically soup and a main course for about 3-4€.
- Slovak pub, Halková 7 (close to market and Kuzmanyho street), . Quiet place, typical Slovak dishes, good prices. edit
- Trinity - Asian reasturant, Kuzmanyho street 100, . Nice looking restaurant. They have a set menu from 11 till 23 for about 3.5€ including soup. edit
- Slovenska koliba, Kuzmanyho, . Typical Slovak looking building with typical Slovak dishes. edit
- Trattoria Pepe, J. Vuruma street (close to Marianske namesti square), . Italian pizzeria. Has Pork and chicken escalopes (wiener schnitzel), chicken and pasta dish, a meat and rice dish, served with potatoes and vegetable and a drink, all for a very reasonable 4€. Pleasant little place. edit
- Reštaurácia Vix, Sládkovičová 3 (in the corner of square "Marianske namestie"), +421 41 562 6401 (<email@example.com>, mobile +421 903 502 177, fax +421 41 562 6431), . Every day 10AM-11PM. Stylish and modern. Video games, casino and billiard upstairs. 3€-13€.
- Voyage Voyage in the northern part of the square has a good menu with a decent variety of food.
There are many pubs, restaurants and tearooms around town. Beer is especially cheap at just over 1 euro per half litre.
There are a few pubs and bars on the main square, in the summer there are many bars with outside seating. There is an Irish bar, aptly named 'Guiness' and also a disco style bar called Royales.
Typical Slovak (and Czech) soft drink is Kofola. Kind of coke drink, not so sweet.
- Tearoom - Cajovna u dobre vily, Kuzmanyho (next to old synagoga), . Very comfortable. Big choice of teas, ice creams, ... They have books to read, board games to play. edit
- Guiness pub in Marianske is often lively.
Overview of almost all Žilina hotels, pensions, motels, ... online.
- Hotel Garni  is a good cheap option although quite far from the train and bus stations. Private rooms with sinks for €10-€15 a night, on the 9th and 10th floors. No internet but nearby restaurant has free wifi.
- Ubytovňa Remy, Závodská cesta 3 (near roundabout called "Rondel"), +421 41 500 4200 (mobile +421 903 640 649), . Non-stop. One of the cheapest accommodation in Žilina. Sk 200-1000.
- The camping site Varín, Varín (11 kilometers east from Žilina towards [Terchova], road 583) . Summer season from 1st May to 15th October. 2.5 € per person; 2.50 € per tent; bungalows and chalets for 4 to 5 people from 25 € to 36 €.
- Ubytovňa ŽILINA - hostel, Pri Celulózke 28 (bus N° 24, 26, 31), ☎ +421 41 5254868, . Free wifi, single bedroom 9,60 eur for one night, in more people or more nights it get cheaper. 8,-. edit
- Econohotel garni, V. Spanyola 43 (red building on a hill), +421 41 565 0747 (<firstname.lastname@example.org>, mobile +421 911 422 008), . Non-stop. 58.5 €/71.5 €-85 €/98 €(Single/Double).
- Mountain hotel Bartoška, . A mountain resort hotel with its own ski slope, jacuzzi, and sauna. edit
- Hotel Slovakia, a very nice ex-communist hotel with over 100 rooms, centrally located with parking. ,
- Penzión *** Anton, Sv. Cyrila a Metoda 830, ☎ +421415094499 (email@example.com, fax: +421415094451), . checkin: nonstop. Comfortable accommodation only 3 km from Žilina in beautifull surrounding. 27 € - 43 €/. edit
- Hotel Dubná Skala, Hurbanova 8, +421 41 507 9100 (<firstname.lastname@example.org>, fax +421 41 507 9101), . Non-stop. 95 €/115.5 €-119 €/152 €(Single/Double).
- Palace Hotel Polom, Hviezdoslavova 22 (next to main train station), +421 41 504 8888 (<email@example.com>, fax +421 41 504 8333), . Non-stop. 102 €/129 €-129 €/142 € (Single/Double).
- Tourist information office , Hlinkovo namesti square, +421 (0)41 723 31 86, till end of June: Monday-Friday 8-17, Saturday 9-12, Sunday closed, in high season Monday-Friday 8-18, Saturday-Sunday 9-14.
- on their website: practical contacts, tips for tips, prospects to download, list of cultural events, ...
- Free wifi on squares: Hlinkovo and Marianske
- Amazing photogallery of everything in Žilina  including photos of hotels, shops, parks, hills, quarters, transport, schools, churches, industries, health centers.
Like any central european town, be practical. The railway station is not the greatest place to "have" to stop over in for any length of time based on experience. Suggest avoid waiting room, and stay near kiosks. Otherwise, Žilina is fine. Enjoy!
There are many great places close to Žilina.
Castles and ruins
- Budatin castle (1 km from Žilina center)  - part of Žilina, just over the river Vah. Lovely park, castle currently closed. Walk there.
- Starhrad ruin (11 km)  - on hill in the middle of forest with great view to river meander. Do a day trip: by train to Strecno, go to Strecno castle, cross river and go up to Starhrad and back.
- Strečno castle (11 km)  - big castle just next road to Liptovsky Mikulas, paid entrance, open Mo-Su 9.00 - 18.00 (last Entrance 17.15). By train or bus to Strečno village.
- Lietava ruin (10 km)  - nice looking, on the way to Rajecke Teplice
- Sulov castle ruin (28 km)  - on the top of rock in Sulovske skaly (Sulov rocks)
- Hričov ruin (13 km)  - nice walk from village Hričovske Podhradie
Mountains and hills
- Malá Fatra  - with centre in Vratna (start of hiking tracks, lift, ski resort) and Terchova (big wooden creche in church). Possible tours:
- Janosikove horne a dolne diery: start in Stefanova
- To Chleb and walk on the mountain edge
- Sulov rocks (Sulovske skaly) - start from village Sulov-Hradna. You can do circle around and visit also Sulov castle ruin.
- Stranik - popular with paragliding, great view over Žilina, the river Vah and surrounding mountains. Take bus no. 27 to Zastranie to last stop.
- Rajecke Teplice - if you are passing this town, stop and enjoy small stroll around town and park
- Čičmany - a folk village near Žilina.
|This is a usable article. It has information for getting in as well as some complete entries for restaurants and hotels. An adventurous person could use this article, but please plunge forward and help it grow!